Friday 16 May 2014

Why Discriminate?

~ I warn you this is a rant ~
(congratulations if you read to the end)

I feel as if there is something that I need to get off my chest, and as with anything, my chosen way to do it is by writing a blog post. I know people don't want to read rants all day and that's seemingly all I ever do on here, but seeing as there's only six of you (who I love, don't get me wrong), I've decided this is where I'll do it. Apologies.


I have never really understood why people have issues with things such as other peoples' sexuality, skin colour, gender etc. I am fully aware of the occurrences and historical events that have forced our society into believing that equality is essentially a myth, but I have always struggled with the question of WHY?

WHY is it such an issue if another person is gay? It does not affect your life in any way, shape or form. It does not mean that the person is in ant way less human, they merely have a different sexual orientation to you. 

It is the same scenario with racism - why demoralise someone purely due to the colour of their skin or the country that they have come from when again, they are in no way any less human than every one of us.

You wouldn't discriminate against somebody for having a different favourite colour to yours, so why discriminate them because of the colour of their skin?

You wouldn't discriminate against somebody for having friends of the opposite sex so why discriminate against them for having a partner of the opposite sex?

I am so fed up of seeing casual sexist, racist and homophobic comments thrown around like they're nothing. I don't think you realise just how much they hurt people, people like my friends, and even if you did see the damage they caused, to be honest I'm not even sure you'd stop. 

We live in a society where it's hard to change the way people act and speak, and I accept that, but it genuinely saddens me that even at primary school, people are saying things like "that's so gay", or repeating racist slurs they've seen online without even knowing what they mean.

Everybody will live a different life. If people have different preferences or different backgrounds then that is a part of their life, not a reason for them to be discriminated against.

Everybody's different, but we're all human.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

.

.