Monday 9 September 2013

caught up in the quest for perfection

Today is another one of those "random" postings where I just feel like I need to write my feelings down. Apologies. 
Something I found on tumblr which seemed appropriate.

I started sixth form last week, and I've already noticed how people are all trying to fit in with the people they deem to be "popular" or "pretty". I'm seeing people that I've spent the last five years with changing their interests and pretending to be something they're not so that they can change their friendship groups and make new friends. Making new friends is great, but not if you're pretending to be someone else whenever you're around them.

I go to an all girls school, so appearance is also something that I'm noticing a lot. The day before we started sixth form, I saw a huge long twitter feed about what everybody is wearing so that they weren't wearing something different to other people. The result: five or six girls wearing the EXACT same outfit from Primark: pepsi-cola baseball style tops, black leggings and white converse. Of course there were slight variants from this, some people wearing coca-cola T-Shirts and red converses. I'm not saying that every single person was copying everyone else, but I'm just saying you don't have to be the same as someone else to look nice. I complimented different people on their different outfits, and in return got some compliments about the dress I had chosen to wear.

The second day was just the same, and the third day after that. Everybody was wearing similar clothes, and it looked like everybody had had the same shopping spree in Primark/New Look (and a few of the rich kids in Abercrombie, Jack Wills and Hollister). I have nothing against any of these shops, or shopping for new clothes, I just feel like everybody has lost their originality and wants to be a carbon copy of everybody else. There are of course some people who have a beautiful and unique dress sense. There's a girl who embraces vintage in a way that only she can do (not the high-street fashion way, HER way), and I'm sort of jealous of how amazing/gorgeous/lovely/unique she looks every single darn day. She also has a blog but I don't think she knows I exist so that's why I'm not linking the blog/saying her name. She is far too cool for me and if I have any lessons with her, who knows? We may become great blogging friends :) But if not, it's not to be.

Everybody seems caught up in the quest for perfection. They don't understand that perfection doesn't just have the one definition, and nobody is perfect anyway. Is barbie perfect? No. I recently found this online and thought you should read it. It does actually make you feel slightly better about yourself.

If Barbie was an actual woman, she would be 5ft9 tall, have a 39" bust, an 18" waist, 33" hips, and a size 3 shoe. Her head would be the same circumference as her waist, meaning that she'd only have room for half a liver and a few inches of intestines. The result? Chronic diarrhoea and death. Also she would not be able to menstruate, meaning she would be infertile and unable to produce children. If Barbie was real, she would have to crawl on all fours due to her proportions. Her feet are so small, her chest would pull her forward onto her toes. Barbie calls this a 'full figure' and likes her weight at 110lbs. At 5ft9 and weighing 110lbs, Barbie would have a BMI of 16.24, and would fit the criteria for anorexia. Because Barbie's neck is twice as long as an average human's, it would be impossible for her to hold up her head; and yet this is the 'person' a lot of girls aspire to be.
Is she so perfect to you now?
I hope not.

Something else I found on tumblr:
Society is wrong. Dead wrong. We're taught that fake is beautiful. We're taught to believe that miniature waists and perfect tans are beautiful tans are beautiful. We're convinced that the blonde girls with the gorgeous smiles will win ever time. But, the truth is? Originality is beautiful. Big brown eyes, green eyes, blue eyes. Curves. Your natural skin tone is beautiful. Your hair colour, your smile. Your voice, your laugh, your personality. Every inch of you is beautiful, every single part of you shines with your essence. You my dear? You're beautiful.

Of course we've all got little things we want to change about ourselves. I've got a roman nose and would love to lose that little bit of weight in certain places, but you've got to accept you for YOU. I'm green-eyed, freckled and spectacled. Does that matter? Sometimes it bothers me of course. Some days I would love to have "perfect" smooth skin. Sometimes I would love to have perfect eyesight and glasses annoy me. On these occasions I sometimes wear contact lenses. You don't need to be a carbon copy of a supermodel to be considered beautiful. There are certain things you can't change about yourself. 

Don't get caught up in the quest for perfection, because the only way you can be anywhere near perfect is by being you. The true you.

~ rant over ~

P.S. I apologise for the lack of photography in my posts at the moment. My camera has a problem with it and is being fixed, so I've only got my phone. That's why quite a lot of my photo's are internet photo's. It should be fixed by next week though...hoorah!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

.

.